Built in 1931 Barnicoat House is named after the Honourable JW Barnicoat, one of the foundation Governors of Nelson College and a member of the Council of Governors for nearly 50 years. Barnicoat was one of two boarding houses commissioned by the Board of Governors following the 1929 Murchison earthquake.
Barnicoat students relocated to Rutherford House in 2015 while Barnicoat House underwent extensive refurbishment. In January 2017 after spending $2.4 million upgrading Barnicoat House, the boys moved back into the ‘House on the Hill’.
Barnicoat house Official Opening March 2017
The official opening of Barnicoat house was featured in the Wild Tomato magazine April edition pages 42-44